The Greekrabbit in NYC and the year that broke all the records.
2018 didn’t suck (oh It did but not as much as years past)
I say this in order to preface any loudmouth, bitch slapping I’m going to do to 2018 and how I do hope 2019 picks up the slack.
My shit list and wish list is simple. These are not regrets and resolutions. Regrets are for people who are ashamed at their blunders and wrong turns and mistakes. I don’t regret anything I’ve done (ok except that one thing, with that guy who was a total douchebag), because each set back, fuck up, wrong idea, bad idea, and pure crap shoot is something that will eventually lead you towards a truer version of yourself. IF you’re actually open to change and learning from your mistakes.
Resolutions on the other hand, constitute finality and if we’re being honest with ourselves and the #lifegoals we set for ourselves, we never stop learning from mistakes and evolving, so if I don’t get to it in 2019, I guess I wasn’t ready. We take the good and the bad and make an assessment as to what we can keep from years past as lessons and what we can let go of and NOT REPEAT in the year ahead. 2018 overall was a step up from years past if people want to read last years list please feel free. There were some slip ups, mistakes, ridiculously toxic people that I thankfully learned lessons from and also thankfully no longer have in my life, there were goals reached, and others not so much but overall, I would say 2018 gave me many more gifts than it did head aches. Although I still miss my travel and writing hero Anthony Bourdain. So without further delay here you go…
Shit List 2018 TOP TEN
- No more second guessing. Original instincts are usually the ones, you should follow. When someone tells you more than once what a narcissistic, asshole they are; believe them. ( They did you a favor)
- Some friends are there through the thick and thin, others only when it’s to their advantage. (reminds me of a brilliant lecture I attended earlier this year by a cool football player turned motivational speaker named Trent Shelton — check his spoken word on friendships here. )
- Not all people are worth your time, money and passion. (pick wisely)
- Don’t give expecting to receive.
- Saying no is absolutely necessary. Do it more often. (pick wisely)
- Don’t sacrifice your truth for someone else’s lie. ( Lies are like cobwebs they trap you like a fly)
- Fame doesn’t mean credibility.
- Don’t take anyone’s word for your own comfort, taste, or knowledge. (build your own and often)
- Convenience isn’t friendship, companionship or love.
- ok this is a bonus from me to you — Small Penis, Large Ego (never fails)
WISH LIST 2019 TOP TEN
- Give someone who has shown they have earned it a second chance to be in your life. Redemption is more powerful than absolutism.
- Nature. That’s it. BE IN NATURE, WITH NATURE, FIGHT FOR NATURE.
- Love is complicated but also absolutely wonderful to experience in all its forms. More love please.
- Have the audacity to live your way, love your way, dress your way, and express exactly who you are. (Life is short)
- Spend much more time with people, than looking at them in a fucking screen (Life is too damn short)
- Write a letter to your future self to remember the stupid shit you put up with in the present and to show yourself how much you’ve grown learned and developed (hopefully) in later years.
- TRAVEL (life is… you get where this is going right?)
- EAT– Eat good, healthy, amazing food and preferably with others
- Art, in every form, with love dedication, focus, discipline and community. Make it, buy it, make some more. Because when we’re all gone art remains.
- Shitty people come into your life to remind you of how long they will last before you tell them to fuck off. (sorry to the swearing but I don’t think anything else is appropriate here)
- Bonus…. Piss people off more often, by being exactly who they tell you not to be. YOURSELF… But be kind, to those who make valiant, imperfect efforts to understand who you are.
Happy Fucking New Year.