Resolutions: We know where they go after the first month of the new year. They are promises kept or not kept. They end up being reminders of our commitment or lack there of to ourselves.
My list for 2020 starts with one idea:
Commitment was never my strong suit. I’ve been in relationships where the exit plan was laid out from day one. I’ve started projects I’ve never finished and promised myself better and never followed through.
So if I’m going to boldly enter this new decade. No bullshit, is a necessary ingredient of the recipe for success. Primarily no bull shit towards the things that matter. I’ve often seen how a lack of commitment is the ever dragging on of promises, bold statements and grand ideas that fizzle out all too quickly in the second month of the year because let’s face it, we mean well and then we fail, we forget, we get caught up in our own dramas, we promise and then we default on our own promises to ourselves.
This year, I’m not making any promises or bold statements. Life happens regardless of our intent, so keeping our commitments to ourselves and knowing that if we default on them, it’s our own self we let down. So here is my short list for 2020:
1. Eat well- whatever that means. Including sharing a meal with people you don’t usually eat with.
2. Protect and care for the body and mind. If we are preaching to the world how to live better ( including myself) doing the same for ourselves is basically imperative.
3. Worry less. far less.
4. Love more. Even those that can’t accept, understand or comprehend what that means. ( including ourselves)
5. Give less fucks. Period.
6. Forgive, move on, get over it and let go.
7. See more of the world, because life is way too short and way too precious, to be stuck in one place wondering how amazing the rest of the world is.
8. Be more vulnerable and honest even though it might hurt.
9. Dance. Alone, with others, to music and in silence.
10. Create, something, however small and insignificant it might seem at the time.
Promises are best kept when we accept we might not keep them. Resolutions change, life happens and we try our best to stay committed to ourselves. Happy Fucking New Year.